Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Photography: Phipps Conservatory 4-5-11

Went to the local Phipps Conservatory the other day. (see title for the date) Got a chance to finally mess around with the Canon 100mm Macro Lens that we bought a month or so ago. Love the results with it so far.

Below is a image Angela had wanted me to take. We re-shot an image that she liked from our wedding. Although this time instead of our photographer taking the image, I did :D In order to get this I did have to get a few of the branches of the plant out of the way, I also had to change the focus to manual instead of auto as it kept trying to focus on the front plants and not the person behind them.


This here is probably my favorite picture that I took while we were there. Looking at the full size image is awesome as you are even able to see the little spines along the edges of the plant. Seems really cool. I wish in retrospect that I had taken a picture of the name plates of all the plants as well, as of right now, none of these I know the name of.


This one here was sort of interesting as it originally had a small spot light shining on it. I thought it looked neat but it was too dark and I had to turn the flash on with the camera. Inadvertently, it worked nicely to fill in the extreme shadows that the spot light was causing and created a really neat soft look to it.


I did learn a few things from this trip that is worth mentioning. First and foremost, the 2.8 aperture creates a really lovely blur behind almost anything you point it at :). Also though, this I didnt know till we were close to leaving, is that I dont need the full aperture set up that high to get a pretty nice view. Its honestly sometimes better to step down a bit, perhaps to 5.6, 7.1 or something between. It allows more of the plant to be in focus, as well as, still creating a nice blur as long as you position the lens and set up your shot well. I also have learned how to setup photoshop for batch processing as well, which makes changing over 200 images to jpeg from RAW, much much easier. Of that I shall post a bit later.

No comments:

Post a Comment